I am thinking ahead for several new series next year. I am still in the process of deciding what I will spend the year studying, which means my big year-long series isn’t decided. But some other shorter series are developing now and you can anticipate them. Here’s where we’re going in 2012 at Pastor Dave Online:
1) Sexy Theology: as a pastor I talk to more young men about sex and porn than almost anything else. So as part of a discipleship strategy I am developing a series on a theology of sex. It will address both the obvious issues of sexual sin, pornography, and more. But it will also turn some serious attention to the necessary development of a deeply Biblical theology of sex itself. The goal is not simply to point out why sexual sin is wrong, that’s obvious, but to help combat it with a thoroughly Biblical picture of what sex is.
2) Uncanny: Theology in the World of Superheroes. I am excited to do this series, because I am both a pop culture buff and a nerd. Superheroes represent an important psychological manifestation in our culture. They point to some things that we desperately seek and they can even help us see some doctrines in new ways. Some of the key characters I will touch on in this series include: Nighcrawler, Batman, Joker, Superman, Thor, Iron Man, and Spiderman. There may be yet others to discuss as this series develops more, but I am looking forward to it.
3) Cafe Theologica. This is probably going to be my most exciting new addition to the site. It involves a series of casual yet focused theological conversations with various theologians, pastors, missionaries, etc. There will be some exciting discussions and neat features (including some videos) to this monthly series. I won’t go in to any more detail now, but there are some special surprises in store!
4) 500th Post Party. That’s right, next year I will reach my 500th post and to celebrate I will be having a special party right here at Pastor Dave Online with a give away: the Hipster Theology Gift Set. You don’t want to miss the guests, the games, and the free stuff going on all that day! More details are forthcoming.
So I hope if you’ve been a regular visitor you will keep coming back, and if not that you will join the conversation and the fellowship right here at Pastor Dave Online.
In the meantime here’s what’s coming next week:
1) A review of The Doctrine of the Word of God by John Frame
Frame’s work is the best at making important theological topics both simple and practical and yet still deep.
2) The Doctrine of Revelation: The Storyline of Scripture (Part 16)
The life of Jesus isn’t just the path he took to the cross, it too fulfills the Scriptures.
3) Luther is My Homeboy: The Life of Luther (Part 4)
Luther’s family life gives us some key insights into the man…and into ourselves
4) A Theology for Hipsters (Part 22): Keeping the Fundamentals (Part 1)
Introducing a new section in this ongoing series. We will turn our attention in the coming weeks to important theological controversies in the Hipster camp.
Also this week we will shift from the Hipster Hymnal to introduce the Holiday Season’s Hipster Christmas Carols. It’s going to be a good week!