- The Biblical Question –> What do the Scriptures say?
- Exegesis not Eisegesis
- The Theological Question –> What does it mean?
- Use commentaries but don’t start there
- Develop an interpretive community –> preachers, authors, commentaries, etc.
i. Don’t include only people from your camp, denomination, theological system, etc.
ii. Also include people who don’t live in this nation and this time.
3. The Memorable Question –> What is going to make it sticky?
1. Sometimes it’s a word
2. Sometimes it’s an image
3. Sometimes it’s a concept
4. Sometimes it’s a doctrine
5. Sometimes it’s an emotion
6. Sometimes it’s a person
4. The Apologetical Question –> What objections will your hearers have that you can answer?
1. What are the huge issues in your cities and major objections?
i. Password protected website with Q&A Forums
ii. Meet with people after services
iii. Turn your critics into coaches
iv. Multiple services
5. The Missional Question –> Why does this matter?
6. The Christological Question –> How is this about Jesus?
1. Talk about Jesus all the time!
2. You have not preached or taught Scripture until you talk about Jesus
3. Ways to do this:
i. OT prophetic promises and prophecies
ii. OT Christophanies
iii. OT Representative Figures (typology; ex: Adam)
iv. OT Events (typology; ex: passover)
v. OT Titles (ex: Son of Man)
vi. The Theme of Redemptive History